MPL Looking for a New Library Director
The Marshall Public Library Board of trustees seeks applicants to fill the position of library director. Beginning January 1, 2023, long time library staff member Mary Bays will serve as interim director of the library.
Library Director – Job Description
The Library Director for the Marshall Public Library works under the direction of the Library Board of Trustees to develop, supervise, and coordinate the work of the Library. The Library Director performs managerial duties related to personnel, budget, collection development, building maintenance, library operations, and ensures conformity to the policies established by the Board of Trustees and Missouri State Statutes.
- A Master’s Degree in Library Science from an accredited college or university. Degree in progress may also be considered.
- Ability to administer the activities of a public library and to supervise the work of others in the library setting.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems independently.
- Ability to mentor and motivate a strong creative staff.
- Ability to demonstrate strong fiscal management skills.
- Maintain knowledge of standard library principles and practices, concepts of freedom of speech, copyrights, collection development, patron confidentiality, censorship, and other library ethical issues.
- Proficiency with computers, popular library software, internet and digital communications.
- Ability to create an inclusive environment and seek out diverse voices.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, subordinates, associates, officials of other agencies, legislative officials, and the general public.
- Excellent communication skills, including providing presentations to community organizations.
- Plans, evaluates, and implements library services.
- Acts as the primary library contact for all members of the media, government bodies, and other collaborating agencies.
- Follows community trends in book choice, readership demographics, national awards, and patron engagement to choose appropriate materials for the library.
- Oversees library programming including within the library and in the greater Marshall community.
- Oversees library collection including purchasing, weeding, and inventory.
- Supervises, motivates, and delegates responsibilities to library staff.
- Hires, evaluates, and terminates library staff.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates short and long range plans, goals, and objectives.
- Develops and collects data integral to the needs of the library, Board of Trustees, community, and patrons.
- Develops and administers policies concerning library operations, budgets, and programs.
- Prepares annual budget with Library Board of Trustees’ approval.
- Directs and controls the expenditures of library funds within constraints of the approved budget.
- Prepares rnonthly and annual financial and statistical reports to the Library Board, county, and state officials.
- Purchases new equipment and furnishings.
- Supervises maintenance of library building, equipment, and furnishings.
- Leads and participates in fundraising endeavors including grant writing, seeking public funds, and working in collaboration with the Marshall Public Library Foundation.
- Provides support to the Library Board of Trustees by assisting with meetings, preparing reports, and implementing policies decided by the Board.
- Attends monthly Library Board of Trustees meetings.
- Engages in professional development in the library fieid by attending webinars, workshops, professional meetings, and reading current literature.
- Performs other related responsibilities as necessary.
- Possesses the ability to work in a standard office setting using standard office equipment.
- A 40-hour work week, typically Monday-Friday, during business hours.
- Occasionally may work outside of business hours to provide library coverage, special events, etc.
Expressions of interest accompanied by a resume may be emailed to Marshall Public Library Board of Trustees, at firstname.lastname@example.org